What is the Residency?
The Residency is an innovative program designed to empower 18-30 year olds to start their own businesses. This early-stage accelerator program provides participants with access to workshops, mentorship, and a national network that allows them to explore opportunities to launch and grow their ventures.
The 2019 Residency is a two-phase program:
Phase 1 - Building Your Idea into a Business
February - May 2019
- Entrepreneurship certificate program, including workshops on establishing and building your business
- Final pitch day
- Access to group mentoring
- Residents from the in-person program who successfully complete Residency Phase 1 will receive a $250 stipend at program graduation (one stipend max per business)
Phase 2 - Growing Your Business (by invitation)
May - August 2019
- Entrepreneur summit
- Individual mentor pairing
- Monthly mastermind sessions with cohort
- Monthly coaching with Future Founders staff
- Phase 2 Residents from the in-person program will have the opportunity to apply for additional funding to support their business
There is no fee to apply or be a part of the Residency and no equity taken by Future Founders in participating companies.
Who can apply?
- Founders aged 18-30
- Individuals with an idea for a business or who are early in the process of establishing their company
- Ideal candidates will need to have completed the following by the start of the Residency:
- Formulated a business idea
- Worked on a minimum viable product
- Talked to other people about their idea
- Thought through a business model canvas
- Companies from any industry may apply
- Companies with co-founders may apply under one application
- Participants do not need to be actively enrolled in school. School enrollment is not considered in evaluation of applicants.
- Applicants from communities of color, women, veterans, and immigrants will receive priority access
As a member of the Residency, the following is expected of all participants:
- Attend one Preparing for the Residency webinars, offered on:
- February 5, 2019 - 11:00am-12:00pm (Chicago-based program)
- February 6, 2019 - 2:00pm-3:00pm (Chicago-based program)
- February 7, 2019 - 4:00pm-5:00pm (National virtual program)
- Attend all workshops (in-person, at 1871 for Chicagoland program and online for national program)
- Participate in optional mentoring sessions
- Accountability to program meetings and deliverables as determined by self, through workshops, and in collaboration with coaches/mentors
- Complete a pre- and post-program surveys, while providing ongoing feedback.
- Share regular updates about your successes and challenges. Keep in regular communication with Future Founders.
- Support other Residents and be a valuable member of the Future Founders community
- Be ambassadors of Future Founders and the Residency. Uphold standards of high ethics and professional conduct.
- Volunteer with other Future Founders youth programs at over the course of the program when opportunities arise
- Allow Future Founders to use your photo, name, business, and entrepreneurial story in promotions (print, video, online, social media, etc.).